Monday, June 27, 2005

Being okay with being rich

I don't come from a rich family. My husband's father is a wealthy, successful entrepreneur however, which has turned out great for me in a way that wouldn't readily be apparent in this situation:

I know some rich people, I like how they think financially, and I've got rich people who like me as a person, despite the fact that I'm not rich. To me, this makes my liking of rich people a lot easier.

You see, I grew up with prejudices surrounding wealth; mental paradigms about rich people and their attainment of wealth that severely restricted me from moving towards being wealthy myself. Humans spend a lot of time ensuring their thoughts are consistent with their behaviors and vice versa, and with a negative image of wealth attainment and wealthy people, I wasn't walking on a path of financial independence, that's for sure.

Rich Dad Poor Dad really altered my way of thinking about the accumulation of wealth, because my folks taught me exactly what Rich Dad advised against: Go to school, work hard, get good grades so you can get a secure job with a company that has great benefits. One of my friends called that the 40/40/40 plan - work 40 hours a week for 40 years and then live on 40% of what you were earning when you worked.

At any rate, before I get very far in my investing, I'll likely be facing self-image issues surrounding my vision of what "rich people" are like because these outdated notions I've learned while NOT being wealthy will not match with how I want wealthy to look like for me. I'll have to recognize what's going on and address it head-on.

For now, however, I'm okay.

Jill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home