Saturday, August 20, 2005

RE Seminar, day one

Wow, what a long day. I'm not used to sitting in one room for so many hours in a day anymore, I'm spoiled in that way.

I got to the seminar location at about 8:40 AM, and while we did have an hour-long lunch and a few 10 min breaks throughout the day, we didn't get out of there until 6:30 PM. Tomorrow promises to be equally long, and while Monday's class ends at about 4:30 according to the schedule, that's still pretty long all in all.

HOWEVER - the length is just fine with me as long as there's good materials being covered and good learnings to be offered. I did, after all, pay a few THOUSAND dollars for this seminar, and I expect to have to give a lot of myself in order to get the full value - but I expect there to be value if I'm willing to give that of myself. And so far I'm NOT disappointed.

Of the three days this seminar goes on, today was the "intro" day, of course, and also the last day that students could back out of the course, get their money back, and give the materials back and go on their merry way. I didn't talk to many people directly during today's opportunities (well, I talked to more people in the afternoon than in the morning), but the 6-8 people I talked to all said they were committed to coming back for the whole seminar.

Initially I equated the commitment in coming back for the whole seminar with the commitment of making this work for them, but I think for some people that's going to be too big of a leap, too much learning for them to do immediately, and unless they're persistent they'll drift off and never do anything with it. For me, however, the commitment of spending this money comes with the commitment for me to make it work. And from what I've been learning today, it's NOT too big of a leap for me, as my learnings from Robert Kiyosaki and Brian Tracy and many many other authors and successful business people have prepared me well for what is going on in this seminar.

If I would have taken this seminar 5 years ago, things would be much different, because my brain was wired differently in terms of looking at jobs, money and my future. The seminar wouldn't have been what I was ready for back then - it would have been interesting and educational but I would have seriously lacked the tools to feel anywhere near confident moving ahead with it. Now, however...

Today we talked about how to find appropriate sellers, assessing their property and then how to go about financing the deal if indeed it's a good deal. My writing this here makes it sound so SIMPLE, but it certainly wasn't. There are many details in there that I just can't write about with any measure of greatness. Check out Robert Allen books, I'm sure it's all in there ;)

We talked about the value of having other private investors "in your back pocket" for deals you can't/don't want to fund yourself - the value of getting a "finders fee" especially for someone who wants to get started but wants to slip their toes into the water more gently than they would if they were to buy a whole house themselves.

We talked briefly about the power of having no assets under your personal name, but controlling assets just the same, but that'll be in tomorrow's discussion of business entities.

We talked about how to start the process of gathering useful information on properties to determine whether they're a good deal or not, and then were given homework to find a property in the paper or online, locally, and make a call and gather information about the property, so we'll have this experience to chat about tomorrow during the day and during lunch during the Q&A period they're holding.

I did my homework, I actually called 2 places, but the first place nobody answered so I just left a message on their machine to call me back. The second place I got a hold of someone and I fumbled nervously through chatting with him about the home but I was dishonest about my buying intentions, not mentioning I was an investor and making it sound like this small house was all my husband and I could afford and that we were in the market for our first house. I wasn't sure how to talk about myself, the guy threw me off by asking right off if I was an agent.

Another thing I have questions about for tomorrow is about how to gracefully get out of a phone call when it's apparent the deal isn't for you or when you're just practicing like we were this first time. I lied about "talking to my husband about the houses we're calling about" as part of my exit.

At any rate, a second homework assignment was for us to call our credit card companies and ask them to drop the annual interest rate on our cards. That will have to wait until Monday or Tuesday as I can't do it through the website (make a request like that, that is) and their offices are closed for the weekend.

But, I DID my homework. I noticed while I was reading through the paper that I found a few potential people to call but I kept on looking even after I found two or three that would serve my needs at this time. A form of procrastination for sure, but I forced myself to get the ONE done (maybe two if the first one calls back?), as that's what needed to be done to get myself started.

One
Step
At
A
Time

Jill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home