Monday, July 25, 2005

Something I'd never have done alone - RE Auction

Over the weekend, I dragged by visiting parents to the house that's going to be auctioned soon in our area, and we took a tour through the house and talked about the upcoming auction with the house's owner. When we left, I read through the Auction information and found that there was a $1000 (refundable to non-winners) fee to enter the house to view the auction!

So, while it's refundable, I really didn't want to put myself in a line with truly serious investors when I'm not truly serious about buying this home I expect to sell for $150,000.

So, I did something that I wouldn't have done if I weren't doing this Passive Income thing with Joel - I called the company doing the auction, was referred to the Auctioneer, and asked the guy if there were any volunteer positions Joel and I could take up in order to be able to watch the auction for educational purposes. I was very up front that we're nowhere near investing in RE yet but we're interested in the education, and the auctioneer was very supportive and quite happy to tell me Joel and I could come in for free by identifying ourselves to him (the auctioneer) when we got in, and that the deposit fee is mainly to deter hoards of speculators from pushing out the real buyers.

Excellent! Yet another example of where asking for what you want, instead of just taking what you've been told as "the rules" can get you in to places you thought you were shut out of!

We go on Thursday. I'll write about it afterwards.

Jill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home