Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Doing stuff

Right now most of what I'm doing is a preparation for investing in real estate and having the where-with-all to get things done as well as understand what is going on.

Right now I'm starting with our primary residence, then once we have US organized, we can think about another property.

I started to use Simply Accounting to track our home money flow but screwed a bunch of things up when I set it up last week, so today I set up a new company and started again with today's balances in our accounts, etc. I started keeping a list of questions that came to mind that I should be asking our financial advisor, and have them saved in a text file on my desktop, along with information about what the last recorded transaction in Simply has been from all of our accounts so I don' t have to search for that when I go to enter data next.

Once I got Simply pretty well organized, and Accounts set up and Vendors set up, I moved on to something else I've been meaning to do for our house and our future in real estate - start meeting handymen type people (it would be cool to find a handywoman as well), get things fixed in our own house, and see how the working relationship develops between us over the next year or two. It'll be these folks I'll turn to when ANYTHING needs fixing in a rental or commercial property I own, because I'm not doing it myself. I will likely have a couple or three handypeople in my Rolodex for a few reasons, but I know it's going to take a while to find quality folks who "get it" and get along with me as a female telling them what to do. Because folks, that's what I see as one of my challenges as a Real Estate investor. There are still WAY more guys doing it than gals, I'll have to grow some stones of my own.

I also called a recommended roofer to get them to give us a quote for re-shingling our roof. We already have two quotes but this third company was recommended by a close friend with "ins" in interesting places, so we want to consider this option before we move forward.

That's all for now :)

Jill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home