Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Playing with the Investopedia investment simulator

I woke up today with a sinus headache and ended up sleeping most of the day instead of going to work.

When I did get up, I spent some quality time at the http://www.richdad.com site, in the discussion forums. I haven't contributed anything yet, I've just been reading and reading and reading. There's quite the community of people there, and I'm learning a lot.

This evening I've been playing with the Investment simulator I found a few days ago. Yesterday had been the first day I started with the simulator, so today was the first day with any type of "results" to look at. I was very pleased with the results and it inspired me to play further.

***NOTE, this is all play - I'm not using real money, just a system that plays off of the real stock market data***

Yesterday I joined a game that used an investment budget of $1000 USD, and I invested in three different companies, spending about $650 of the $1000. Today when I went back, each of the three companies had gone up by ... uhm... well, I THOUGHT it was $9 between the three of them, but now I'm wondering if it was 9% by the three of them, because that makes more sense. But I can't check, because the simulator site is not responding. I'll get back to you on that one.

At any rate, all of the stocks had gone up. That was nice ;)

So, today I spent some time looking through the Canadian currency games until I found one that had a starting budget of $10,000, and I joined that game. It actually also came with $10,000 USD to invest, which is nice, as I don't necessarily have to worry about what exchange the company I'm investing in, is using.

I've been reading the Rich Dad forums, about Paper Trading, and am looking up the stocks they're talking about on the board, doing some basic checks on the chart history and stock price and histories, and then if I like 'em, I'm investing around $500 in them.

Mostly I'm going for stocks that are in the under-$5-range, but I've bought a few $10 stocks and even a few at the $50 range - just not very many. I figure since I'm paper trading anyway, I might as well take risks that I might not take if I were using real money right now.

I've talked to my husband about my plans regarding our finances, and he's in line with the few wispy goals I've set out for myself so far - even those that affect him and his spending habits. He wants me to take an accounting course as well, which I see the value in for sure, but I'll have to plan that in to the next 12 months as I'm not interested in jumping in to it right now.

This weekend my family goes on a road trip to visit MORE family, and thus I will be away from my computer. Of course, the markets are going to be closed at the same time anyway, so what does it matter??!

Jill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home