Friday, August 31, 2007

Setting up a Penpal php-based site, half done

I've started a new project, based on PHPenpals which is a small application written in PHP that ties into MySQL and performs very very basic handling of a penpals website.

I worked on it all today after finding and uploading the software to my test server last night, late.

My plan is to take this basic software and use it as a base for a very specific "pals" website that is online game-related. Instead of finding "snail mail" penpals or email penpals, the people who will be using this site, in theory, will be using it to look for new friends to play with on their online game of choice.

Today's work got me pretty far ahead and I'm very pleased with myself - after many false starts, I found an HTML template that was basic yet attractive enough for my needs (since I can only write basic HTML and cannot write an entire page, and generated pages from programs are often confusing, and don't even get me started on the confusion that are CSS sites...), and integrated that HTML template into the software's layout pages.

Then, I did some poking around and pondering on things, and came up with the information I'd like to gather from new members. This lead to re-working of the database the application had created in its installation procedures, and the creation of a simple SQL INSERT statement to test the new structure.

From there, I went to the website itself, and started working on pages in the order that people would go through them - first the Index page, then the Join page... the Join page has taken a number of the hours today, re-working the Join Form and adding new variables was half the job - tomorrow I'll tackle updating the SQL INSERT statement and test to make sure they work before moving on to the next page to update.

I'm going to start this project as a piggy back off of an already successful endeavor, and have enlisted the help of another web developer to increase awareness of the site once it launches. I'll write another entry tomorrow after I've done another few hours of work on it.

But, tomorrow I have to spend some time working on a "review" blog that I have, because I've recently received a handful of things of which I'm reviewing and wish to take pictures of and write about. So, I'll have to ration my time to make myself feel like I've accomplished enough in both.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Wed Feb 25, 04:51:00 AM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
Monetizing creative online content is a great way to create an income stream with almost no upfront investment, but the tradeoff (once again) is time. It takes a tremendous amount of time to create the amount of content that will eventually produce a decent stream of passive income.Passive income
Thanks

 
At Tue Aug 18, 03:09:00 PM CDT, Blogger Psoriasis Handler said...

Interesting post about you setting up a Penpal php site from August 2007? I think you did well on starting up this blogger site, but I guess its true that a lot of people would start a blog and abandon it. You should continue to share your experiences, anything you wouldn't mind people knowing. :)

I just recently started this site: BoEiK.com , hopefully I would have the determination to maintain it.

 
At Sat Jan 09, 01:23:00 AM CST, Blogger JadeDragon said...

Sound like an interesting project. More techie then I can understand but really hope it works for you.

 
At Fri Jul 30, 12:21:00 AM CDT, Blogger vishal said...

Easy Earning money in online never been this easy and transparent. You would find great tips on how to make that dream amount every Day.Sitting in the home earn around $100 perday. So go ahead and
click here for more details and open floodgates to your online income. All the best.

Thanks.

 
At Sat Jan 07, 10:45:00 PM CST, Blogger Jacob said...

Hi ive been considering starting a similar project, thanks for the tips you have saved me alot of time. I run a similar blog to you although its my first blog and ive only started a few days ago but i would appreciate it if you could have a look and give me some tips i am in dire need of help.

Earn Money With Passive Income

 
At Sat Jan 07, 10:45:00 PM CST, Blogger Jacob said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Tue Mar 06, 11:27:00 PM CST, Blogger Unknown said...

Passive income is an income received on a regular basis, with little effort required to maintain it.

Passive Income
----------------------------------
healthy living

 
At Mon Apr 23, 11:14:00 PM CDT, Blogger Serg said...

Hello,

I enjoy what I do from home with my home based business and I have learned a lot since I started last year.

The common problem online with affiliate business models (99% of them) is that most businesses online models are not designed for members or affiliates to succeed off the bat. Only a few selected
marketers/affiliates make it, not because they smarter then the rest, but purely from the huge effort that is required to become successful.

Internet marketing online takes great effort and a lot of knowledge and a lot of time. Being in the right niche is required so that you have lots of demand from consumers.

If you want to learn about my Home Business Opportunity & how to build your very own passive income online visit my site www.sergioanacleto.com

Look forward to help you started.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home